Wednesday, September 9, 2009

MAC Prep & Prime

Hey guys, you'll have to excuse the poor quality of the photo in this post, my camera is not the greatest but I think I'm getting a new one at the end of the month. Hurrah!
I wanted to do a review on MAC Prep & Prime. As you know, I bought it at the end of last month as I was curious to see if the MAC primers could stand up to others that I have tried and loved (like YSL Matte Touch or Lancome La Base Pro). The MAC site claims it is "an ultra-fluid lotion formulated with special-effect silicones. Calms and soothes the skin, blots away excess oil, and evens out skin redness. Improves the laydown and application of foundation or powder".

I've heard alot of people complaining of the 'glitter' in it but if anything, that's what makes this product work so well! In my opinion, it's not glitter in the primer, it's like they have mixed 2/3 primer with 1/3 MAC Strobe liquid. I personally don't think MAC Strobe liquid is glittery, it has very refined particles of shimmer which is something altogether different. If you are going to apply this product and nothing else then yes, you will look shiny. However, I use it under my foundation and it gives me exactly the effect I want...a brightened,dewy, glowy complexion. I really like the formulation too as it's not too thick and not too thin (it's like the consistency of a thick moisturiser). I use two pumps of it and that covers my whole face perfectly. My makeup goes on easily after applying the primer although it did take SLIGHTLY longer to blend which really isn't too much of a problem. It doesn't make my face overly shiny because once you have applied your foundation and powder, you can control where you want to glow. I would say that the Loreal Studio primer gives a more matte look if you prefer that and it makes makeup stay on a bit longer than this but extending my makeup wear isn't a priority for me as my foundation does that job already. I would use the Loreal primer more for a nightime look when I want real staying power and a matte base (I overheat with one glass of wine!). Otherwise for everyday use, I think MAC Prep & Prime Skin is great for a fresh look.

I think the reason why some people may not like it is because they probably prefer the matte complexion look. I personally think that skin looks it's best when it has a healthy glow and I am verging on obsessed when it comes to illuminating/highlighting products. I have tried so many primers and they normally fall into two categories...either mattifying or illuminating. This product evens out my skin tone, creates a glow and doesn't do an amazing job of mattifying but there's certainly an element of that. So I guess you could say that's it's between the two categories of primer. I really like it and will continue to use it for my daytime makeup.

By the way, if you're interested what nail polish I'm wearing in the pic, it's Sweety by Mavala.

No comments:

Post a Comment