Friday, September 18, 2009

Cosmetics: Animal Testing

A bit of a serious post today because I have seen this crop up quite a bit on YouTube lately. This is such a controversial subject in the makeup world as some people don't have a problem with cosmetics being tested on animals and other people find it abhorrent. I personally don't agree with it and wherever possible I try and buy products that haven't been tested on animals.

However, I have recently found out that Loreal test on animals and that really disappointed me as I own some of their products and that made me feel really guilty. The EU are currently phasing out animal testing and the French brand, Loreal, are apparently opposing this, which really shocks me. There's so many grey areas with this e.g. Lancome don't test on animals, however, they own Loreal who DO test on animals...so I really don't understand why they don't just stop completely because Lancome are still funding it at the end of the day. As you may know, this kind of testing has been banned in the UK thankfully so British brands are subject to this law. What I will say is that I don't think it's right, in this modern day and age, that we are still subjecting animals to that kind of cruelty. You will have noticed that I use alot of natural and organic products because, in my mind, if more companies used more of these kind of organic ingredients, then there would be no need to test man-made chemicals on animals anymore.

This post is not about me getting on my high horse and saying that I've never used a product that's been tested on animals because I know I have. I don't feel good about that and I can certainly say that to the best of my ability, I do try to choose products from ranges that don't carry out that kind of research (such as Barry M or Liz Earle). I mean, as much as I adore cosmetics, they are not vital to survival and they are, at the end of the day, a luxury product. I, for one, don't want any animal to suffer just so I can look good. That would be the most awful form of vanity.

What are your thoughts on this subject?

No comments:

Post a Comment