Monday, October 5, 2009

Fake Bake Mousse Self Tan

I am a bit of a fake tan junkie...but not in the orangey way...I hate self tans that look obvious. I just like to have a nice golden colour all year round. I can always rely on St Tropez Mousse to give me the tan I want but lately I have also been been using Xen Tan and I love that for a really subtle glow.

I have tried Fake Bake self tanners in the past (the cream formulation) and I wasn't impressed with it. It took ages to dry due to it's thick consistency, the colour was too dark on me and it left me patchy after 2 days. Something I have to have with a self tanner is a good fade factor i.e. it fades evenly and doesn't leave you with bits of patchy fake tan all over the place (the worst place for this on me is my neck and chest).
I very much prefer mousse formulas for self tanners because they dry alot quicker and I always find that the colour turns out a lot more natural because you get an even finish. I decided to give the Fake Bake Mousse a go, even though I didn't like the other formulations in the range. I did my usual routine of exfoliating all over, using a light moisturiser, letting that dry and then applying the self tan with gloves on.

Firstly, I really didn't like that when you press down on the nozzle, the product squirts out at an alarming rate and it actually ended up on the floor and on my toes (resulting in black toes which wasn't a great start!). The product just comes out way too fast and in quantities that are hard to deal with. The product isn't as light in formulation as St Tropez and so you need to spread it out more. It also took alot more effort to blend it in and make sure it was evely distributed. It took a long time to dry (I'm used to my St Tropez and Xen Tan drying in 1 minute). Fake Bake mousse took at least 15 minutes to dry and that just really bugs me as no one wants to be sitting around for ages in stupid positions, waiting for it to dry.

I slept overnight with the self tan on (which I would normally do) and when I woke up in the morning, there was ALOT of transfer onto my bed covers...gross. I showered and the guide colour took longer to come off than I thought it would. Once I was out of the shower and had a chance to check out what the colour was like. To be honest, I wasn't happy with the colour it gave me, it just looked unnatural, too dark and it had a funny tinge to it.

I have been using self tanners for the last 9 years and the best ones I have come across are the St Tropez and Xen Tan mousse formulas. It would take ALOT to top them. All in all, I really don't like this Fake Bake product, it was a huge disappointment and I will never use it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment