Thursday, July 14, 2011

Oliver?s Mount racing blog: Barry Sheene Festival

By Adam Child -

First rides & tests

12 July 2011 13:07

My road racing season continues but this time at the tight and twisty Oliver?s Mount, Scarborough. Oliver?s Mount is the last true road racing circuit left in the UK, nearly 2.4 miles of park road, narrow in places with a few jumps thrown in for good measure.

I was there competing in the modern open class, as part of the Barry Sheene Festival, which mainly attracts classic bikes.

It was only my second visit to Oliver?s and practice didn?t go too well. I couldn?t get my Suzuki GSX-R600 to steer the way I wanted it to, running wide all over the place and we had the wrong gearing, far too tall, the same gearing I used at the North West.

We managed to qualify 13th which wasn?t bad, but it meant I was right in the middle of the pack for the mad start on the very narrow track. I got a good start up to about ninth but had a freight train of riders stuck behind me all wanting to get past.

I held on for as long as could but when I ran wide two riders darted up the inside meaning I finished 12th.

Race two was much of the same. I got a good start and held on for a few laps�then started to slide backwards, eventually finishing 11th.

Lap times were not bad, the bike never missed a beat and it?s all good practice for the next meeting, Cock of the North on�23/24th July. Fingers crossed we’ll be blessed with the same perfect weather and I can get my lap times down further still.

Well done Ryan Farquhar who once again showed his dominance winning every race he finished in, winning by 25 seconds in the main Barry Sheene Classic Superbike race. Keith Pringle rode superbly taking the modern class race win on his R1 ahead of Mick Goodings in second followed by Ivan Lintin third.�

| Motorcycle News

Billy MacKenzie Corrado Maddii Andre Malherbe Paul Malin Jacky Martens

No comments:

Post a Comment