Click the images below for bigger versions:
2011 AMA Daytona SportBike
From the looks of things at the opening qualifying session for the Honda Super Cycle Weekend at Mid-Ohio, it appeared Danny Eslick would take the pole in AMA Daytona SportBike.
The GEICO Suzuki GSX-R 600 rider was the only man to lap Mid-Ohio under the 1:30 mark. But come Saturday morning, the Oklahoma rider had some stomach issues, and decided to opt out of the second and final qualifying session.
And by the time Q2 was completed, Team Graves Yamaha’s Josh Herrin made a last-lap effort to take the pole-position at Mid-Ohio; it was his first in 2011. But only 0.071 of a second behind was Team Latus Ducati 848 EVO rider Jason DiSalvo, who led most of the session.
Although sick, Eslick’s Friday time places him third on the grid. This race is important for Eslick, considering he only leads the championship over Herrin by a slim four points. Taking the final front-row spot will be Jake Holden on the RidersDiscount.com Ducati 848EVO.
Heading up the second row is Herrin’s teammate Tommy Aquino. Joining Aquino will be Cameron Beaubier (Yamaha YZF-R6), Cory West (Vesrah Suzuki GSX-R600) and Dane Westby (M4 Suzuki GSX-R600).
Race 1 in the AMA SportBike class is scheduled for 2 p.m. today (Saturday), with race 2 set for 2:15 p.m. Sunday. Stay clicked to UltimateMotorCycling.com for results.
2011 Mid-Ohio Daytona SportBike Qualifying Results
1. Josh Herrin, Yamaha YZF-R6: 1:29.486
2. Jason DiSalvo, Ducati 848EVO: 1:29.557
3. Danny Eslick, Suzuki GSX-R600: 1:29.723
4. Jake Holden, Ducati 848EVO: 1:30.037
5. Tommy Aquino, Yamaha YZF-R6
6. Cameron Beaubier, Yamaha YZF-R6
7. Cory West, Suzuki GSX-R600
8. Dane Westby, Suzuki GSX-R600
9. Taylor Knapp, Suzuki GSX-R600
10. Paul Allison, Yamaha YZF-R6
11. Kris Turner, Suzuki GSX-R600
12. PJ Jacobsen, Ducati 848EVO