Tuesday, November 30, 2010

FOTD and a Couple of Reviews

We are still having MAJOR problems with the snow up here in Aberdeen and it's showing no signs of stopping any time soon.  The novelty os snow has well and truly worn off now and it's just becoming a huge pain in that you can't really do anything and everyone is just staying indoors.  Over the last couple of days I have started to develop a cold so that's not much fun either!  Even Wolverine is feeling the chill and seems to think he needs to stock up on food...


I had resigned myself to the fact a long time ago that I would never be able to wear bright lipsticks because they simply didn't suit me.  Well there has been a revelation...drum roll please...I found a vivid pink lipstick that actually suits me...hurrah! 


I have always worn very soft nude or pink lips because I was under the impression that they were the only tones that suited my complexion.  I had been thinking recently about what I could do to mix up my usual 'going out' makeup and this is the look I came up with...


Face: Estee Lauder Double Wear Foundation in Fresco, Bobbi Brown Corrector in Light to Medium Bisque, Estee Lauder Maximum Cover Foundation in Light (used as a concealer), Korres Wild Rose Powder, Dior Matte Sunshine Bronzer in Honey Matte, Sleek Contour Kit, Benefit Coralista, Dior Shimmer Powder in Amber Diamond.


Eyes: Clinique Instant Lift For Brows in Soft Blonde, Mac Paint Pot in Soft Ocre, Models Own Eyeshadow in Gold all over lid, Mac e/s in Vanilla on browbone, Totally Toasted Brown shade from Too Faced French & Fabulous Palette in crease, Illamsaqua Precision Ink in Alchemy on inner corners, Benefit Gilded pencil on waterline, Estee Lauder Double Wear Eyeliner in Onyx along top lashline, Lancome Hypnose Precious Cells and Lancome Hypnoise Drama Mascara. 


Lips: Estee Lauder Double Wear Lipliner in pink, Daniel Sandler Micro Bubble Lipstick in Micro Flamingo.


Let me first just say that I LOVE this lipstick from Daniel Sandler, it's just the perfect cool, blue toned pink for me.  It looked so scary in the tube and I remember thinking it could quite possibly look horrendous on me but I was willing to take a risk and do something different.  It's fun when you try something new and realise that you love it!  This picture is the best representation of the true colour of the lipstick...

See what I mean about the colour being scary at first? Well, I applied it with the small brush on the other end of the Estee Lauder Double Wear Lipliner and it instantly look so smooth, very slightly glossy and extremely pigmented.  This lipstick is described as being a "rich, creamy colour and protective treatment in one. 'Micro-bubbles' continually release conditioners to keep lips soft and colour fresh for hours". 


The formulation of this listick is divine because it feels really moisturising on the lips and the colour stays true for a long time.  The pink shade just brightens the whole face and I was really surprised at how flattering it is. 


Obviously if you prefer warmer toned lipsticks then this product isn't for you but if you have a similar complexion to me and normally shy away from bright colours, then you should give it a go! 


You can buy the Daniel Sandler Micro Bubble Lipstick for £13.00 from this website.  Now all that's left for me to do is find the PERFECT cool toned red lipstick to wear!  Any recommendations would be appreciated!

If you are interested in finding out how I styled my hair in the photos above then read on.  I used Big Sexy Hair Volumising Detangler which is a leave-in conditioner that prevents frizz, conditions the hair and creates body without weighing the hair down:



You can buy this for £8.88 from this website.

I then used Big Sexy Hair Root Pump Volumizing Spray Mousse which is great for creating loads of volume and helping to hold your waves in place without that hard, crispy feeling that some mousses can impart on the hair.  I just apply it when my hair is damp and massage it into my scalp and ends.  I then just section my hair off and blowdry my hair pulling it upwards to create the maximum volume.  I have naturally very fine hair so I have to put in a bit of work to make it look full!



You can buy this product for £9.31 from this website.

I sectioned my hair and used the Toni & Guy 38mm Tourmaline Wave and Curl Tong to create the soft waves in the pics above.  I like using my Babyliss Conical Wand but sometimes I feel like I want bigger, less defined waves which is where this tool comes into play.  It's amazing value for money and is priced at £19.99 from Boots.  It would make a great Christmas present for anyone who wants to create looks like this.


These tongs have 25 heat settings which can be altered to suit the thickness of your hair.  One of the best features is that it has a swivel cord so it's really easy to rotate the tongs around the hair without coiling the cord and getting all knotted up.  The tongs automatically switch themselves off if left for more than 30 mins  which is handy if you are forgetful like me!  Although these tongs don't come with a heat protective mat, I always use my GHD or Babylis one to avoid setting fire to the carpet!


The tongs have the usual thin metal stand but obviously it's best just to use a mat where possible.  The barrel is the perfect size to create gorgeous, relaxed waves that stay in place all day when set with hairspray (I  just used Loreal Elnette hairspray because it gives natural hold).  The tourmaline barrel means that it heats up very quickly so I only had to hold the hair in place for 10 seconds at a time to get the effect above. 

My only bug bear with these tongs is the the heat dial is situated in a place on the handle where it can easily be moved when you are rotating the appliance so it would be great if there was some kind of heat setting lock.  I use the highest heat setting because my hair is naturally quite straight so I just put a small piece of masking tape over the heat dial to prevent it from moving whilst in use.

All in all, I think they are great value for money and they will be used alot over the upcoming festive period!

No comments:

Post a Comment