Friday, November 26, 2010

Topshop Highlighter & Current Fave Lip Combo

This is the first couple of products I have tried from the Top Shop makeup range and I have to say that I am impressed with them.  I sometimes get a bit dubious when it comes to clothing stores launching their own makeup range because at times the products can be low quality and plain disappointing.  It does make you think, why not just stick to what you are good at?


However, the product that really stood out for me, being a highlighter junkie and all, was the Highlighter in Sun Beam.  Even just the fact that this highlighter only costs £8 is pretty incredible to me because the quality of it is akin to MAC MSF's or Nars Albatross.  In fact, this shade is like an exaggerated version of Nars Albatross...a pale, glowing gold colour.  The powder itself is really smooth, buttery and fantastically pigmented.  You only need to touch your brush into the pan to get enough product so no need for swirling and making a mess.  It gives SUCH a pretty sheen to the tops of the cheekbones but you can also use it on your brow bone if you like that look, your cupid's bow to accentuate your pout or on your decolletage to make your skin glow.  It would also be great to use down the front of your legs to create a slimming effect. 

You get alot of product for your money and given the intense pigmentation of the powder, you really can go wild with it.  I like the simple packaging with the cute little stars on the lid and it doesn't bother me that there isn't a mirror in the lid because I rarely take highlighter around with me to re-apply.  This is definitely a great addition to my existing highlighter collection and if you're thinking of getting Nars Albatross, skip it and get this instead.  It's cheaper, more effective and you get alot more product for your money.


My fave lip combo for this week has to be Mac Shygirl lipstick (Cremesheen, creamy neutral coral beige) with the Top Shop Glaze in Frostbite (a very sheer gloss with teeny gold reflects).  I love Shygirl because it's an easy way to introduce a subtle creamy coral shade into your look and it looks amazing against golden skin with a bronze eye! It's a bit brighter in real life than it appears in the pic. The formula isn't perfect but I can forgive that because I love the colour.  You definitely need to prime your lips with a good lip balm first.  The up side to the drier formula is that it stays put for a long time.  Every cloud...

The Top Shop Glaze is exactly what it says on the tube...a glaze.  Don't expect a highly pigmented gloss because that's not what it is.  It's basically a lip gloss that will add gold reflects to any lipstick and make your lips look VERY plump.  The sheen it gives off really volumises your lips as it catches the light.  I love the way it transforms my usual lipsticks into something a bit more special.  It's definitely a gloss I would stick to wearing at night time due to it's shiny, shimmery look.  The shimmer in this gloss are by no means chunky or gritty and it smells alot like Mac glosses.  I think the packaging is really pretty with the cute polka dots on the applicator.

What have you tried from the Top Shop makeup range? Is there anything you have your eye on? 

On another matter...how amazing was Duffy's live acoustic performance of her new song on The One Show??? Her voice sounds amazing and I've always liked her retro look! How cute are her dimples!?

No comments:

Post a Comment