Friday, December 4, 2009

Updated FTC Disclaimer

Hi everyone,

I was really saddened today when I started to realise what a furore is being created over the new FTC guidelines but in the spirit of being compliant (and avoiding a huge fine according to some sources!), I just wanted to let you all know that I have updated the disclaimer at the bottom of my blog to clarify any uncertainties. The disclaimer reads as follows:

I would like to confirm that this is my personal blogspot and therefore, all the product reviews are based purely and wholly on my own opinion and experience from product usage. I do NOT get paid/work for, nor am I affiliated in any way with any of the brands mentioned in my blog. I do sometimes receive samples from companies to review on my blog however my opinions are always honest and not influenced by the fact that they are 'freebies'. In the interests of avoiding confusion, from now on (04/12/2009), I will state in my posts whether the products featured were bought with my own money or sent to me. All photos that appear on this site are copyrighted by their respective owners. I claim no credit for the media images unless otherwise noted. If you own the rights to any of the images and do not wish for them to appear on this site please contact me and the images will be promptly removed. I reserve the right to delete comments which I deem to be offensive or abusive.

To be honest, this kind of thing and the resulting consequences, are sucking all the fun out of blogging for me. For people to think that because I sometimes receive free samples, my reviews aren't honest or I'm somehow swayed into saying that a product is good when it's not is really annoying. I am a very honest person and if it's what people want, I will state in every single post I do whether I bought the items or not. By disclosing all the information and being totally transparent, you guys can then make up your own minds if you want to take my opinions thoughts on board. For decades magazines have featured beauty products in their publications, they get those products for free, yet people never questioned the beauty editors (unless your reading one of those endorsement 'promotional' features where everything is from the same brand). It just seems hypocritical to me. I read an article recently about how alot of magazine bosses are 'fearful' of bloggers because essentially we are making beauty editors obselete. Apparently people prefer to read reviews written by 'real people'. What do you think?

Does anyone else feel that this is all becoming a bit much?

No comments:

Post a Comment