Sunday, December 5, 2010

My Search For The Perfect Red Lipstick...

It's definitely starting to feel more like Christmas time now.  I spent today watching the Home Alone marathon, then I switched to the Greatest Christmas TV & Film moments, then over to Muppets Christmas Carol!  I'm so excited because Chris is back from offshore tomorrow and it's my birthday next week.  I accidentally spoiled Chris' birthday surprise of organising a group meal with all our friends because I started trying to organise something myself.  He ended up having to tell me in case I double booked!  Poor thing, he was trying to be a good hubby...but I definitely appreciated the thought behind it!

So because my beloved is home, I'm going to take a couple of days off blogging but I'll be back mid week.


After introducing myself to a vivid pink lipstick, I decided I owed it to myself to find the perfect red for me.  Although there was a time when I never thought I would wear a super bright lipstick, I'm loving the way the right hue can illuminate your whole face.  I didn't think it was my 'style' but the great thing about makeup is that you can play around with it and it can instantly transform the way you look.  I'm definitely looking for a cool, blue-toned red and ideally one that is raspberry/ruby in tone.  These are some of the recommendations I had received from my lovely subscribers...


These next ones are more pinky reds but I love the look of all of them...


So my first foray into the red lip comes with YSL Rouge Volupte in no.17 (Red Muse), a cool red with a hint of violet reflections.  Apologies for the bigger pic in the collage below...I look less than happy but I can assure you I'm full of festive cheer at the moment!ha ha.


My first observations on wearing a red lip like this is that it instantly makes your teeth look alot whiter...I'm liking that alot!  Secondly, it slightly drains the colour from your complexion so you have to make sure you use a good bronzer.  I'm not talking about piling the stuff on but it's good to ensure you warm up the tone of your skin slightly or you could end up looking ghostly.  Overall I think this colour works on me, but I don't think it's my perfect match.  I am convinced that something with more of a pinky red tone would compliment me more.  Obviously the Rouge Voluptes are always of the highest quality, they feel moisturising and glide on effortlessly.  The colour also lasts well when teamed with the right lip liner and also when you apply one coat, blot with tissue, then apply a second.

I will be continuing on my search for my red lipstick soul mate...I love the idea of wearing red lips over the festive season!

No comments:

Post a Comment