Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Makeup Crush: Leona Lewis


I'm not a fan of Leona Lewis' music BUT I am a big fan of her makeup looks.  She always seems to look very polished and sophisticated.  Although these pics are from her appearance at the 2009 AMA's, I personally don't think makeup looks really go 'out of fashion'.  I know there are makeup trends that do the rounds every season BUT I never live my life by them and because I now have a good idea of what suits me, I'm certainly not going to go mascara-less or wear orange lipstick just because it happens to be in vogue. 


I love this luminous smokey eye that she frequently wears, it's so smouldering but soft enough not to make eyes look tired or heavy.  It looks like the MUA lined her upper and lower lashes with a creamy black eye liner and smudged it out with something like a cotton bud to soften any harsh lines.  There's a shimmery grey shadow on the lid and drawn under the eyes to further soften the black liner.  The grey shimmery shadow is winged out to create a lifted cat eye appearance.


A darker grey can be applied to the crease to intensify the look and unify everything before applying a black shadow on the outer edges of the upper lid.  This can be applied from the outside inward to blend the shades and also blended down into the lashline.  There's also a hint of a highlight on the inner corners of the eyes which helps to open them up.  The most important thing with this look is to blend, blend and then blend some more.  You want the colours to melt into your skin and look airbrushed.


This is another example of the gorgeous sultry eye that Leona usually has, but this time it looks like they used more brown toned greys, like a taupe shade.  This look is alot about softness and I think this would be a great look to wear to a Christmas party/New Year get together because it looks effective without looking like you've tried too hard.  I love that you can play around with different colours when it comes to smokey eyes.

What are your favourite products/colours to use for your smokey eye looks?

No comments:

Post a Comment