Thursday, December 2, 2010

FOTD and Review of RMK Extra Deep W Mascara

I dunno what's going on with my hair today, it's all static, flyaway and there's stubborn kinks in it...very annoying!  It hasn't stopped snowing here yet unfortunately.  I was supposed to be going out to see my mum and dad today and stay with them for a couple of days but the roads are too dangerous to travel.  So I'm stuck in the flat again!  I headed to the gym this morning to burn off some calories purely so I could indulge myself in my weekly treat from Cafe Crema...a slice of their Sticky Toffee Cake...


Let's take a moment to appreciate this thing of beauty....ahhhhhhhh.
I would prefer to go to Cafe Crema over Starbucks ANY DAY.  It's run by a lovely couple, Richard and Sarah who really take the time to get to know you and have a chat when you drop in.  I keep going back because they make everyone feel like a valued customer, they always remember your name and what you spoke about last time you were in.  You don't get many businesses like that anymore and it's a real shame.  They make an effort to source local quality produce and suppliers for their cakes, coffees and unique range of teas.  There was even a Christmas Spice tea there today that smells like the tea equivalent of mulled wine! It smelt gorgeous!  They have a local lady who bakes cakes and cheesecakes for them and they are the most divine I've ever tasted!


One of the brighter eyeshadows that really like from Mac is Parfait Amour.  It's a vivid bluish violet duochrome with violet opalescent shimmer (frost) and it makes adding a bit of colour into your routine really easy.  Because it's slightly more complex then your average eyeshadow you can lay a paler base colour down and just use this as your crease colour.  Because of the duochrome effect, it looks like you have used 4 or 5 eyeshadows yo blend the whole look when really you have just used two.  Genius!


Face: Estee Lauder Double Wear Foundation in Fresco, Bobbi Brown Corrector in Light to Medium Bisque, Clinique Redness Solutions Instant Relief Mineral Pressed Powder, Dior Matte Sunshine Bronzer in Honey Matte, Sleek Contour Kit, Mac Beauty Powder in Shell Pearl as blush/highlight.


Eyes: Mac Paint Pot in Painterly as a base, Ivory shade from Dior Earth Reflection eyeshadow palette all over lid and inner corner, Mac Crystal e/s all over lid, Beautiful Iris e/s in crease and outer lid, Mac Parfait Amour in crease and outer lid, Mac Vanilla e/s on browbone, Estee Lauder Double Wear Eyeliner in Onyx along top lashline, Mac Carbon e/s to tidy up liner, RMK Extra Deep W Mascara in Black, Benefit Eyebright on waterline, Benefit Powderflage under eyes to set concealer and tidy up any fallout.

Lips: Estee Lauder Pure Colour Lipstick in Candy, Estee Lauder Pure Colour Gloss in Frivolous Pink

So onto the review of the RMK Extra Deep W Mascara...


It's described as "using a new technique of enveloping the fibrous base in between your mascara coats, the RMK Extra Deep W Mascara creates a voluminous effect like none seen before.  Thanks to its water resistant formula, RMK’s lengthening and volumising Extra Deep W Mascara keeps your lashes smudge-free all day. You start by applying a coat of mascara then use a rich coat of fibres from the fibrous base and then a last coat of mascara to set the fibres. Voila, a seductive gaze no-one can resist!"


You can see from the pics that it definitely gives a thickening and lengthening effect on the lashes and impressively so, rivalling some of my favourite mascaras. 


This is the first time I have ever tried a mascara with black fibres used as a base.  They do make it easier to build real volume and the really small brush for the base coat makes it perfect for grabbing every tiny lash.  The mascara dried quickly and didn't budge all day, no flaking, no smudging.


But that is the problem with this mascara.  It doesn't budge.  I love the effect it has but it took me a good two days to get the remnants of the base fibres off my lashes! I know it's a water resistant formula but even after trying every makeup remover I own (including oil formulas), it still didn't remove all of the mascara.  I really like to completely cleanse my face of every trace of makeup each night.  I like to feel refreshed and bright eyed in the mornings but the days following my use of this mascara left me trying to pick bits out of the roots of my eyelashes and resulted in a lot of lashes falling out.  It has fantatsic results but I'm just not willing to lose loads of lashes every time I use it.  For me, it's just not practical.

I will be sticking to my favourite mascara combination of the moment...Lancome Hypnose Precious Cells as a base, then Maxfactor False Lash Effect over the top.  These are very easy to wash off with soap and water so I'll be sticking to them for the foreseeable.

Have you tried this mascara? What were your thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment