Saturday, December 4, 2010

My Current Skincare & Style Crush

I have had a few emails over the past couple of months about what skincare I use so I have finally gotten around to posting on it...I know...it's about time eh!  As I have said previously, I always switch my skincare to more hydrating formulas as soon as the cold weather hits.  Boy has it hit now...Aberdeenshire experienced temperatures of -25oC on Friday morning...insanity is what it is! But I do think that once it gets past a certain level of coldness...you can't really feel any more cold than you already do!


Right, first off, I will do an overview of my cleansers which at the moment consists of Simple Purifying Cleansing Lotion for the morning and Origins Clean Energy Gentle Cleansing Oil before bed.  The Simple one is perfect for sensitive skin, it doesn't dry out your face and because it doesn't contain any nasties, it helps keep your skin clear.  At night, I apply a small amount of the Origins Cleansing Oil to my face and massage it in thoroughly, then I wipe the excess off with a cotton pad.  It's important to work it into your skin to make sure it's penetrating the surface and feeding your skin.   It's a lightweight, non-comedogenic cleanser made with Olive, Sunflower, Sesame and Safflower Oils which remove dirt, makeup and pollutants. It also contains Kukui Nut Oil and Macadamia Oil to help protect natural moisture resources. The Vitamin E it contains helps reduce irritation in the skin.  It smells of Grapefruit, Orange and Lemon.  This cleansing oil is great if you have dry skin like me and it really helps keep my skin in great condition during the cold weather which can strip your skin.  The only bug-bear I have about this product is that the bottle is just open at the top, which means it can be messy to transfer to your hands.  It would be alot more practical if it had a pump or even just a top with a small hole in it. 


I always use an eye cream both day and night to try and combat my dark circles and also to make sure I don't get any dryness around my eyes.  Sometimes I get tiny patches of Psoriasis right in my lashline which is a real pain.  The Nivea Natural Beauty Radiance Boosting Eye Cream is great for daytime because it's light, does't interfere with foundation/concealer applied over the top and it contains light reflecting particles to brighten the whole eye area.  I'm on my second tube of the Korres Olive & Rye eye cream and I use this one at night because it's hydrating enough to prevent dryness but light enough not to clog my eyes up and make them puffy.  You have to be really careful about what eye creams you use because the heavier, richer formulations can make your eyes a bit swollen.  The skin is so thin and delicate that it often can't cope with heavy emollients so beware.


My current day moisturiser is the Good Things Dream Cream which is actually designed for night-time use BUT I find that it's light enough to use every morning and creates a nice base for your foundation.  I like to switch to a more nourishing moisturiser in winter and this one is great because it doesn't leave a greasy film on your face and it smells delicious, just like all the Good Things products.  If you have skin that's on the oilier side, then the Miracle Mattifier Moisturiser is just fantastic.  I used that alot in summer to prevent any shine on my t-zone and it really helps to keep your skin clear as well.


Now for my star moisturiser of the moment for dry skin...the Origins All Purpose High Elevation Cream.  This stuff has made the skin on my face sooooo soft, despite the freezing temperatures.  It's a gorgeously rich cream that was originally designed to meet the needs of the people living in the high points of Colorado.  It contains Shea Butter, Wheat Bran Extracts, Sunflower, Sesame, Safflower, & Jojoba Oils to completely calm and comfort your skin.  It's really good for anyone who suffers from redness as well.  It feels really nice to slather this onto clean skin at night because you know you will wake up with a silky, smooth face that just makes foundation look even better.  This is a really emollient cream that is multi-purpose, the tube is 75ml and a little goes a long way so you can also use it for elbows, knees or any other super dry skin you have.  Brilliant!

Just as a side note, I still do an aspirin mask once every week to prevent any blemishes and refine the texture of my skin.  It's my secret weapon and I tell everyone who will listen to do it as well! I swear by it!  If you haven't heard of this before, then click here to read my post on it.


Another great product I have recently found for combating dry skin is the Dove Visible Care Softening Creme Bodywash.  It claims to visibly improve skin in 7 days...well I've been using it for 2 weeks now and it has definitely made the skin on my body feel like silk after every shower.  It's a really thick cream wash that lathers up beautifully, smells lovely and fresh and leaves my skin really soft and smooth.  You only need a tiny bit on a body puff and it's a great inexpensive shower product.  This combined with the Origins Ginger Souffle Whipped Body Cream applied post shower has made a massive difference to my skin and I'm impressed that I have managed to keep my skin feeling fully hydrated 24/7.


It's that time again to share a style crush of mine and I actually got really excited when I was collating these pictures.  This week the spolight is on Blake Lively, some of the pics are from Gossip Girl and some are her personal style.  I love both to be honest!  I am mad about every single outfit in these following collages...


Oh my god, that luminous pink dress is just gorgeous and even though it's a tough colour to pull off without looking cheap, Blake works it and makes it look sophisticated with ease.  That black sheer lacy dress is to die for as well...sexy but in a very understated way.  I really want a pair of those studded leggings she has on in the first pic too...they rock!


This girl definitely likes her embellishments so she's a woman after my own heart.  I love the cute little beaded top she has on in the first pic and I would never have thought to team it with a blue leather skirt...but it works!


I am a huge fan of wearing bright colours, especially in these dreary months.  It can instantly breathe life into your face and has an amazing effect on your general mood!  Uhhh, I'm lusting after that ruffled blue mini dress she has on above...what a statement dress!  What can I say about the floor length red dress with the daring neckline...incredible dress and incredible body in it!


The nude coloured, fringe detail dress in the first pic above is AMAZING and so chic!  It almost has a 1920's feel to it, like a different take on a flapper dress.  And don't get me started on the dark grey and black lace trim dress, it just looks incredible on her.  I want all these outfits in my wardrobe right now! 

Which outfit is your favourite out of the pics above?

I was having a chilled out night last night so I stuck on my iPod and selected shuffle.  I love doing that because you never know what will play next.  In doing this, I stumbled across a song I hadn't heard in ages.  It's by Elbow, a band from Greater Manchester, who started to become famous in the late 90's and I chose their amazing song 'One Day Like This' as the soundtrack to the first part of our wedding dvd.  I'm about to get all deep and meaningful on you guys.  I have loved this band since I was about 15, especially because of the lead singer, Guy Garvey.  I love that he sings with his accent and he is a lyrical genius...his songs are honestly like contemporary poetry. 


For example, in this song 'The Bones Of You' (taken from the well known British saying "I love the bones of you") which is a tragic but beautiful song about a man who can't forget about the love he lost years ago, the lyrics are amazing:

'When out of a doorway the tentacles stretch
Of a song that I know'
And the world moves in slow-mo
Straight to my head
Like the first cigarette of the day'.

How spot on is that in describing how you feel when you hear a song that transports you into the past and reminds you of someone you have loved and lost?!

I also like this bit which describes him thinking of their time together and realising that every little thing in his everyday life reminds him of her and that he will never stop loving her:

'But image on image like beads on a rosary
pulled through my head as the music takes hold
and the sickener hits'
I can work till I break
But I love the bones of you, that I will never escape'.


I think they are probably the most under rated band in the UK.  Another great song of theirs is 'Grounds For Divorce'.  I always laugh when I hear this song because my dad heard it on the radio and asked who it was and if I could download their album for him.  He was all like "oh does that mean I'm cool and down with the kids then?"...ha ha...bless him!

No comments:

Post a Comment