Sunday, August 16, 2009

Photo Tag

Michelle (LipstickRules) tagged me for this and I'm warning you...it's emotional!

The Rules are...
1. Open your first photo folder

2.Scroll down to the tenth photo

3. Post that photo on your blog and tell us the story behind it

4. Tag 5 or more other people to do the same!

Let me introduce you to Ben (front)and Sam (back), my family got Ben when I was 12 years old and I was so excited to have my first dog and he was perfect! SUCH a good dog and so intelligent. Mum and dad said we could only have one dog but after 3 years, they decided to get another golden retriever to keep him company. So we went to the same dog breeders and got Sam (he had the same parents as Ben so they were brothers essentially). Sam was such a big lump and he was the last puppy left...no one wanted him coz he was "weird looking". We fell in love with him at first sight, he was like a gentle giant. He was very nervous at first but he soon came out of his shell and he followed Ben EVERYWHERE. The photo above was taken about a year after we got Sam.

Fast forward another 3 years and we couldn't wish for better dogs, everyone adored them. One day, we started to notice that Sam didn't seem very well, he was off his food and that really wasn't like him. So we took him to the vet and were informed that sadly he was experiencing total renal failure and they only gave him a week or two to live. We were utterly devastated at the news and he was only 6 years old. I was so upset and couldn't stop crying.

A couple of days after geting the bad news about Sam, Ben was outside in the garden and my mum saw his face fall in his water bowl and he collapsed on the garden path. We rushed him straight to the vet and after loads of tests and checks, the vet told us he had cancer and it had spread too far to help him. This was just too much for us, we knew we were going to lose Sam in the next week and now the vet was telling us that Ben would have to be put to sleep that very night. My heart just caved in and my chest ached with the thought of not having them around. It was so painful to have to let go of Ben that night but we knew it was the best thing for him. After Ben died, Sam just seemed to completely give up, like he knew his brother wasn't coming back. It was so sad to watch him fade away but after just over a week, he passed away.

There are alot of people who don't like dogs or have never had one that wonder why people get so upset at losing them. All I can say is that when I was around them I felt so calm, they were so affectionate and were so much part of our family and I will never forget them and how they were so much a part of growing up.

I now tag:

15 Steps, then a Beauty Blog

Belle Du Jour

Feline

Hele Says

The Gloss Goss

No comments:

Post a Comment