Friday, January 22, 2010

Wedding Makeup Stuff

I think I’ve found the perfect primer combo for my wedding day by mixing my moisturiser with Virgin Vie Skin Dew (a pearly pink skin illuminator), waiting for that to sink in and then applying a VERY thin layer of Lancome La Base Pro. That way, I get the subtle glow under my foundation that I want and my skin holds the foundation a lot better throughout the day. I’m still on a quest to find the perfect shade/formulation of foundation for my wedding day. I use Revlon Colourstay and lately I’ve been mixing Natural Beige and True Beige to get my perfect colour but I’m a bit worried that the Revlon CS foundation might look a bit heavy in natural light/photos. My favourite lighter foundations are Korres Wild Rose or Nars Sheer Glow but to be honest I’m not sure if they would last the whole day. Although they both photograph really well and give an airbrushed look when I’ve taken pics for my blog, I don’t want to be constantly checking for shine and I really don’t think I will have time on the day to touch up my makeup. I want a soft matte glow (if that makes sense) like the kind you get from MAC MSF Natural. One idea I had was to use the Korres or Nars foundations and then try setting them with Benefit Hello Flawless which is a cover up powder. I am going to experiment with that this weekend to see if it gives me the coverage I need without sacrificing any of the glow. In the meantime, I need some suggestions on what foundations to try – I’ve heard MUFE HD is good or Diorskin Forever. I basically want a medium coverage foundation that won’t make my skin look too opaque or heavy.

I want to find the perfect contouring powder. I always use Bare Minerals Faux Tan to contour my face however as I don’t want to go over the top on the day by wearing bronzer and then Faux Tan in the hollows of my cheeks (it’s weird how wedding makeup has to be different from your usual routine). I think it’s because everyone wants to look like they’re naturally beautiful on their wedding day, no one wants to look like they’re plastered in makeup. I guess it harks back to the whole white gown/virginal thing. So…I am thinking of looking into a matte blush that’s a few shades darker than my natural skin tone. That way I can contour without the look becoming overly bronzed. I have been looking at MAC Blush in Buff. If anyone has any suggestions, hit me back!

I never wear waterproof mascara because, well I don’t generally have a problem with it smudging/running and it’s a pain in the ass to remove at the end of the day! However, everyone keeps telling me to invest in a good waterproof mascara for my wedding day. I know I will cry at some point (or many points). So I will start looking into the best waterproof ones and also a good makeup remover to get the damn stuff off!

The funny thing is, even though I apply makeup every day and have done for the past 12 or 13 years, makeup that is suitable for photography is a whole different subject. You really have to think about the lighting and whether the flash will drain colour from your face. I’ve also had advice that you should define your features more strongly than what you usually do, so they show up in photographs…so I need to try and get a balance between defining my features and not looking too ‘done up’. Tricky. Although luckily I take photos for my blog so I already have a general idea of what works/doesn’t work.

I have already decided that the best highlighter for my skin on the day will be Nars Albatross as the powder formulation will avoid the ‘sweaty’ look that some other highlighters can create! I love how subtle this powder is and it gives just the right kind of glow. I will be sticking to applying this high on my cheekbones and on my collarbones since I’m wearing a strapless dress.

I want to wear a YSL Rouge Volupte but as everyone knows, these don’t last that long on the lips, so I may have to find a long lasting alternative! Sob. Although I’m a die hard fan of the nude lip, apparently pale lip colours can make you look washed out in photographs so I will have to experiment with some different shades and see what works best. Also, I intend to wear just a lipstick with no lipgloss as I don’t want our first kiss as husband and wife to be a big sticky mess!ha ha. I need to find a long lasting soft matte lippy that won’t dry out my lips…easier said than done! I have thought about using MAC Hue since it's a really nice natural pink...since there's not a MAC counter near me, I would really appreciate any recommendations on a nice pink MAC lipstick. I don't want anything too bright, just something quite natural (my lips but better). Ok...so I think I just described MAC Hue.ha ha. Trust me to always be curious what else is out there. I could always try mixing Hue with Lovelorn and see if that brightens it up a bit.I also need to find some good Oil-blotting sheets to avoid excess shine and don't cause a build up of layered makeup, which is a major factor I want to avoid.

And now for some advice I have been given by some other bloggers...

  • "Flash photography emphasises pink tones, so it’s best to go with a yellow toned foundation to even out your skin tone".

  • "Using concealer is easier when you have the perfect shade. Don't go 1-2 shades lighter than your skin, as this actually makes the darkness appear more gray and muddy. Mix your concealer shade with a drop of your foundation and then apply because you want your skin tone to appear one even shade".

  • "Take a black or brown pencil and line the lashes on the outer 1/2 or 1/4 of the eye. Blend with a cotton bud (Q-tip). Then, take your mascara and a eyeliner brush, and lightly line the eye with your mascara. Once it's dried, smudge again, and you1ll find that your eyeliner will stay on forever. If your mascara is waterproof, that's even better".

I will be trying these tips out this weekend and will let you know how I get on.

I also found this blog, which lists loads of wedding makeup blogs/videos for all tastes...

http://www.makeupandbeautyblog.com/cosmetics/101-wedding-makeup-looks/

No comments:

Post a Comment