Thursday, September 2, 2010

My Controversial Dislikes...

I just want to make a brief statement before you guys read this post about my oh-so-controversial dislikes.  I say controversial because whenever I have expressed my opinion on them before, people have looked generally shocked and exclaimed "I can't believe you don't like it!".  I'm always going on about what I love on my blog so I thought it might be interesting to look at the thing's I DON'T like.  The intention of this post is not to offend anyone or to belittle something that you personally like.  It's just my opinion.  Feel free to comment if you disagree with anything I have said in the post because it's all about free speech baby!
1) Matte Nail Polish - I just can't get into this recent nail trend.  I love having glossy, shiny nails and the matte look just seems dull, boring and lacklustre to me.  It's almost like it just drains all the dimension out of the colour you have applied on your nails.  I also hate the feeling of matte nails...I get goosebumps when I run the pads of my fingers over my nails...yuck! Gross out.  Not for me!
2) Lilac/Lavender Lipsticks - I love Lilac, it's a beautiful colour...just not on my lips.  Lady Gaga rocks this look alot and she looks fab because she has the style to carry it off.  I'm not sure if it works better on darker skintones but personally, it just makes me look like I am suffering from Hyperthermia!  The only time I have worn it out was at haloween when I dressed up as The Corpse Bride.  I think it's one of those things where it sounds really innovative and interesting when you hear about it, you enthusiastically apply it to your lips, you look in the mirror and then you think...WTF? 
3) Harem Pants - I know these are really popular with alot of people and the trend has lasted a few seasons but I just can't stand them.  I just feel like they are so unflattering on women because the crotch area is all saggy and they make your butt look weird.  They just remind me of a nappy with trouser legs attached.  Heck even Will.I.Am couldn't get away with them in the Usher - OMG video and he is one cool guy!
4) Glee - I know there are probably alot of 'Gleeks' in the blogging community but I have to say that I just can't get into the programme.  I know the whole show is supposed to be tongue-in-cheek but it's all too sickly sweet for me.  The X-Factor style auto-tuning on most of the cast's voices annoys me and more often than not, their re-worked versions of popular songs just puts me off the original song.  9 times out of 10 the original version is always the best so why mess with it?  I'm just not a fan of musicals in general if I'm being completely honest and I think I may be the only one out of all my friends who feels that way.  They just bore me to tears and make me cringe...sorry!
5) Cheryl Cole - Now don't get me wrong, I can see why people love Cheryl...she has style, she is beautiful, she was heavily invlved with Comic Relief, etc, etc.  But I'm just sick to the back teeth of hearing about how she is the 'Nation's Sweetheart'.  I don't understand why certain celebs get tagged with that title when there are so many worthwhile candidates in the country who do amazing work for charity or even just their own families.  They just don't happen to appear on tv every week with glossy hair and designer outfits.  I think what first annoyed me is that she didn't sing live on X Factor despite judging contestants week after week on their singing skills.  Then I started to notice that the show became all about her and what she was wearing every week.  Pretty much every weekly magazine has a picture of her on the cover.  This may not be her fault, it could be her management pushing her image down our throats and since I don't know her personally, I can't comment on whether this is what she wants.  Cheryl has a very carefully manufactured image and maybe this is to protect her privacy but it has undoubtedly put her on a pedastal, where she is untouchable and it becomes harder and harder to see her as a real person.  People want to see the real human person inside, someone who doesn't take themselves so seriously.  Cheryl's image is so highly maintained that she has become all about her image and clothes that she wears rather than who she is as a person.  All I know is that Katy Perry has been a breath of fresh air on the show because I can identify with her personality alot more and I love the way she takes the p*ss out of herself.  She is beautiful and always looks great but she's also fun, witty and seems very down to earth.

6) Panto - Every year Christmas rolls around and every year there's a panto on at the theatre with a team of soap stars from 10 years ago acting out various children's stories.  I'm not sure if my non-UK readers will know what panto is but if you are unsure, here's an example:

I went to a couple of pantos when I was a kid and I thought they were ok, but I never loved them.  It didn't take me long to get bored of the "He's behind you"..."Oh, no he isn't"...blah, blah, blah.  As I've grown up, I have never felt the need to buy tickets to go and re-live the experience.  But loads of people I know, who are the same age as me, go every year without fail.  It would be like watching the Teletubbies and expecting to be riveted by it at the age of 27...not gonna happen!  Maybe when I have kids I will have to revisit the genre for the sake of the wee ones, but otherwise I will continue to avoid it like the plague!

Is there anything you don't like that everyone else seems to love?

No comments:

Post a Comment