Thursday, April 29, 2010

FOTD

I didn't have a very good start to my day today...I was just out of the shower and my hands were slippy so when I picked up my favourite day cream (Elemis Pro Collagen Marine Cream) it slipped right out of my hands.  Just like a buttered piece of toast, it landed face down on the floor and all the cream splatted all over the ground.  I actually yelled out "nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!" ha ha.  That's not the worst thing, I was so determined to salvage the wreckage that I scooped up the top layer of the moisturiser mountain on the bathroom floor and put it back in the jar! Oh deary me...desperation is a terrible thing!
So anyways, enough of the moisturiser massacre! On to the new products I used in this FOTD (for a list of all the products I used for this FOTD, please go t the end of this post).  Now this product first came to my attention because Holly over at The Yummy Mummy's Beauty Blog was raving about this alot at one point and since then, it's been on my wish list.  I rarely go a day without eyeliner but in the daytime, sometimes it's nicer to tone it down by using softer hues like navy blue, purple or brown.  This YSL Eyeliner Moire in no.6 (Chocolate Reflections).  This eyeliner has an oil-in-water formula with shimmering golden highlights throughout.  It has a fine brush which I'm not overly keen on because it can be had to get an even line with those types of applicators.  I often prefer the felt tip pen ones because you can apply more pressure on them to control the line.  Despite my problem with the brush, I still LOVE this liner.  The rich chocolate colour is really pretty and the product definitely stays put all day without smudging or flaking off.  I reckon this will fast become a product that I use on a daily basis because it creates just the right amount of definition without making your eyes looked too heavy or 'done up'.

In this FOTD I also used the YSL Semi Loose Powder Natural Radiance in no.3 (Amber).  It has a 'Bright Pearl Complex' which promises a luminous matte finish.  That is pretty much what I always want from a powder.  This semi loose powder is very light on the skin and it has a similar finish to that of Mac MSF Natural but in my opinion, better.  The reason why I think this is better is because it lasts alot longer on my skin.  I don't have to reapply it at all on a normal day, obviously if I'm rushing around or in a hot room etc then I would probably have to re-apply.  But this powder does have great staying power.  My complexion looks radiant when I wear this powder and there's no cakey-ness or powdery look to my skin.  I adore the packaging for this powder too, from the external look of the gold tin to the black turntable dispenser inside.  With a small twist of this turntable, it dispenses just the right amount of powder without creating lots of mess.  There's a plastic guard to cover the dispenser whilst it's not in use and then the brush sits on top of that.  There's also a mirror in the lid which is a must for when you're out and about.  

I have heard alot of people raving about Mac's Fix Plus lately and I definitely want to try it at some point.  However Clarin's have a product which is very similar called Fix' Make-up.  It's a super fine mist with hydrating and soothing ingredients like rose extract.  It helps to set your makeup, makes it last longer and also helps to promote a matte complexion.  I love how refreshing this feels and it's a must have for holidays and summer.  The best thing about these types of products is that you can spritz your face after you have finished applying your makeup and it takes away that powdery look that you can sometimes get when you have applied powder, blush and powder highlighter.  It creates a glowy complexion without looking shiny.  I watched Holly's vid on YouTube today about how she uses her Mac Fix Plus (can be viewed here) and she gave the great tip to dry your face with a hairdryer after spritzing to ensure that your makeup sets evenly.  The next product from Clarins that I used was Instant Smooth Perfecting Touch.  I actually found this primer was very similar in the effect it gave to YSL Matt Touch and also Loreal Studio Resurfacing Primer.  Those two happen to be my favourites when it comes to filling out fine lines, smoothing the skin's surface and creating a matte base for makeup.  The difference with this primer is that it contains highly beneficial ingredients that care for your skin as you wear it.  It also contains miniscule spongey spheres that plump out your skin and fill in any fine lines.  This primer melts into skin, doesn't feel greasy and feels super light.  You only need a tiny amount for each application and it comes with a spatula so you don't have to dig your fingernails into the product.  I first heard about this product from Aleksis over at Alpha Blonde when she was raving about it on her blog and since we generally love the same things, I knew I wanted to try it.  I am a bit of a primer-holic so this product is right up my street.  I love how it makes my skin look flawless under foundation and I really do believe that it helps foundation to adhere to the skin for longer.  I just feel more 'secure' in a way when I'm wearing it underneath my makeup.
I have seen this YSL eyeshadow duo in quite a few magazines recently being listed as a must have item for summer.  This duo is in no.1 (Heavenly Beige and Astral Brown) and it really satisfies my neutrals craving.  I just find shades like this so wearable for everyday and it really suits my blue eyes.  I like the fact that YSL give you two applicators for each shade just to keep things clean and simple.  The eyeshadows themselves have good pigmentation and I really like the subtle shimmering effect they have. 
Another product I used from YSL is the Variation Blush in no.18 (Coral Sand).  Now I would describe this more as a blush and highlighter combined as the alternating squares in the pan are a pale peachy coral shade and a sheeny pale golden beige.  It is a very pale blush so I would say that for anyone who likes strong blush shades, you're better off giving this a miss as it's a very subtle effect.  In the swatch above, I have shown the blush on the top, then the highlighter, then both of them blended together at the bottom.  I like to use it as a daytime highlighter, much the same way as you would use Mac Beauty Powder in Shell.  It just gives a hint of colour to the cheeks which looks pretty.

Just a quick word on a shampoo and conditioner I have been enjoying using this week too...Pantene Volume & Body Shampoo and Conditioner.  I normally don't like Pantene as it makes my fine hair way too soft and it ends up becoming flyaway and full of static.  However, the lighter formula of this shampoo and conditioner has really given my hair it's bounce back and as you can see from the pics at the start of the post, it has definitely made a difference to the volume of my hair.  I love it when cheaper hair products really come through for you!

Products used in FOTD:
Face: Clarins Instant Smooth Perfecting Touch, Estee Lauder Double Wear Foundation in Fresco, Mac Select Moisturecover Concealer in NW20 under eyes, Benefit Boi-ing Concealer in Medium around nose and on blemishes, YSL Semi-Loose Natural Radiance Powder in Amber, Korres Monoi Oil Bronzer in no.2, Sleek Face Contour Kit, YSL Variation Blush in Coral Sand, Mac MSF in Soft & Gentle on cheekbones.Spritzed Clarins Fix' Makeup to finish.
Eyes: Mac Paint Pot in Soft Ochre all over lid, YSL Eyeshadow Duo in no.1, Paul & Joe Eye Gloss in no.1 on browbone, Clarins eyebrow pencil in Soft Blonde, YSL Eyeliner Moire in Chocolate Reflections along top lashline and flicked out, Benefit Eye Bright on waterline, Benefit Powderflage under eye, Lancome Hypnose Drama Mascara in black. 
Lips: L'Occitane Rose Petal Lip Gloss

No comments:

Post a Comment