Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Interview With Daniel Sandler!

This is a Liparazzi exclusive and I am so excited about this post!

 I have watched the famous British makeup artist, Daniel Sandler, on TV and in magazines for years now. He  has been a makeup artist and leader in his field for over 25 years and has worked with the likes of Naomi Campbell, Kate Moss and Yasmin Le Bon.  He even has is own self titled range of makeup (my favourite product being the Daniel Sandler Micro Bubble Lipstick in Flamingo, which I blogged about here.)


Daniel has worked both in the UK, US and all over Europe on various shoots with prolific fashion photographers for major glossy magazines.  He also does a lot of work with designers backstage and has created looks for Gucci and Tommy Hilfiger at a number of major fashion shows and is a regular on national TV.  Daniel beautifies many high profile celebs in order to prepare them for red carpet events.  He also welcomes the public as clients at his Urban Retreat Makeup Studio in the most famous department store in the world, Harrods (London).


Daniel very kindly agreed to answer some of my questions about his work and generally to share his thoughts on the wonderful topic we all share a love for...makeup!

Could you describe a normal day in your life as a makeup artist?
Every day and every job is different, be it shooting on location or developing my self-titled cosmetic range, so I don’t really have a "normal" day so to speak. In general, I get to the studio or location, set up my kit and have a chat with the Client and Photographer about what type of makeup they want. I also say what I think is suitable. Then I apply the makeup in about 30 mins (by this point, I’m a speedy worker!). If the makeup needs changing throughtout the day then I adjust it as I go along but more often than not I just touch up throughout the day making sure the client is delighted with the outcome.

How did you get into the industry?
When I was 18 years old I watched a makeup artist work on a shoot and realised that was what I wanted to do. I then trained in makeup application and did my best to meet everyone I wanted to work within the industry. If I was lucky they’d give me a chance to work with them. Then it was a matter of networking and offering myself to get more clients within the fashion and beauty industry. Sounds easy, but there’s tons of hard work and belief involved to get to where I have.


How would you describe your signature look that sets you apart from other makeup artists?
The finish I get is always flawless and naturally glamorous. I apply makeup that you can barely see where it starts or finishes. Even if I sculpt cheekbones, you wont be able to see where the contour is as it’s so natural looking, and carefully placed. I can also throw in bold colour on lips or eyes so that it suits that person without them looking too unlike themselves!

Who is the nicest or most interesting celebrity you have worked on?
They are all lovely and all interesting in their own way.


Which current celebrity would you most like to work with and why?
I'd love to makeup Jessie J as she loves bold dramatic makeup and its rare that I get to experiment with colour and pigment. She can carry off any look, which would make her fab for me to work on!

What are your favourite staple products in your kit for a flawless look?
My Retexturising Face Primer , my Watercolour Blushers, my Waterbase foundation and concealer’s in one, my Brushes, my Invisible Veil loose powder and my Invisible Blotting Powder.

What are your favourite makeup looks for the summer?
I love a tan with a pop of pink or bright peach on cheeks and lips. I also love smokey eyes and a tan but with a twist of bright blue or green liner inside the inner lower eye rim. If you’re pale and don’t tan then I love a red lip teamed with defined brows and a hiny of blush to cheeks. A must for all summer looks is my new release, Watercolour Creme Bronzer in Riviera (exclusive to http://www.escentual.com/).

Who or what inspires you in your work?
Nature and retro makeup styles inspires me. I can be inspired by things as simple as a flower or a bird but I love certain periods of makeup such as the 1920's or the 60's and work that style into the makeup I create.


Who is your favourite beauty icon of all time and why?
My mother. She had an incredible, natural beauty and was a lady with true class and style. She could apply a line of pencil close to her upper lashline then apply a single coat of mascara to compliment a red or pink lipstick and look amazing. Her makeup was simple, yet stunning.

How would you create the perfect base on the skin for makeup application?
I use the Clarisonic on skin to lift of dead skin cells. I then moisturise the face and neck. After that I apply my Retexturising Face Primer onto the entire face and neck then apply a Base, then I pop concelear where its needed. I dust a little loose powder onto lids so that I can apply shadow but I skip on applying powder to the face until the very end.

As I said previously, I love the Daniel Sandler Micro Bubble Lipstick in Flamingo and the Luxury Lipstick in Goddess (a yellow based pink) looks gorgeous for summer so that is now on my lust list!


Daniel has also added a new product to his line, the Limited Edition Watercolour Creme Bronzer in Riviera which looks like a lovely product for the summer months/holiday.  It looks to be a similar concept to the Chanel creme bronzer actually.  Has anyone tried this yet?

No comments:

Post a Comment