Monday, February 21, 2011

Calculating Your Body Shape

Whilst I was shopping with my mum, I got to thinking about body shapes and which clothes are most flattering on my personal body shape.  I thought I knew what my body shape was.  I thought I was an 'apple' which means you have a full chest, upper back with little waist definition. 'Apples' tend to appear top heavy as well which I certainly am. 

Many people often assume an apple body shape means you are VERY curvy or overweight people which is a fallacy.  Notable celebs with the 'apple' body shape are Angelina Jolie, Jennifer Hudson and Elizabeth Hurley who all have this shape but in a "thinner" version.

There are so many different theories nowadays on how many different body types they are.  But here are some celeb examples of some classic body shapes...



Just out of curiosity, I wanted to find out if I was, in fact, an 'apple' and after some searching on google, I found this website...


This website outlines that it's your shape, not your weight, that matters.  A handy calculator tool requests your body measurements and it calculates what body shape you are and what clothes you should be wearing to flatter your figure.  Very handy to make sure you always look your best!

This website doesn't conform to the usual 'fruit' body shapes like pear, apple and banana (I didn't even know there WAS a banana shape until today!ha ha).  This website claims that after a study involving over 6,000 women, they have concluded that the names and definitions for women's body shapes had to be revised into 9 new categories:
  • Straight
  • Pear
  • Spoon
  • Hourglass
  • Top Hourglass
  • Inverted Triangle
  • Oval
  • Diamond
For full explanations/definitions of these body shapes, please click here.  The guide on what you should wear to flatter your body shape is very easy to follow and really concise...


So what did it calculate my body shape as?  Well I came out as an Inverted Triangle (bust large, hips narrow, waist not very well defined).  I would pretty much agree with that description of my body type.  I know I have a short waist and long legs so I always look kind of top heavy.  My waist does go in but it's not as well defined as someone with an hourglass body shape and my stomach is by no means flat!

The main problem I have with dresses is that they will fit me everywhere else, except my bust, which can be a real pain!  If I get the size up then the dress becomes too big for me.  What I really need is a personal tailor to custom-fit all my clothes for me.  If only I had the cash to do that!

Do you know what your body type is?  Do you know of any handy websites regarding this subject?  Do you have problems getting clothes to fit you?

No comments:

Post a Comment