Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Illamasqua Toxic Nature & Small Reiss Haul

Just before I went to Berlin, I received a lovely gift from the team at Illamasqua because I wasn't able to make the Toxic Nature launch event in London.  I'm always gutted when I can't make these events but it's just so expensive for me to get down to London and get a hotel etc.  I'm hoping that more brands start having events in Edinburgh or Glasgow so at least I could go along to some.  I'm dying to meet up with some other beauty bloggers!


Illamasqua sent me the Cream Pigment in Emerge (matte pastel peach), Precision Ink in Glister (opalescent nude) and a Nail Varnish in Stagnate (grey mauve).  The product I was most excited about was definitely the Cream Pigment in Emerge because I think it will make the PERFECT base for Mac Pigment in Melon, which I bought recently.  I will have to try it out and show you guys in a FOTD!  I think I will try out the Precision Ink product on the inner corners of my eyes to open them up. 


The Cream Pigment is a gorgeous summery shade that could possibly be used very lightly as a blush as well...I will also try that out and let you guys know.  I'm interested to see whether it could work as a lip colour too with some clear gloss over the top.  It seems to be very much a multi-use product so I'm looking forward to having a play with it.  Whilst swatching it, it felt very smooth to apply to the skin and the pigmentation is VERY impressive, as with all Illamasqua products. 


I love the Precision Ink in Alchemy (the gold sparkly one) and I'm wearing it in the photo in my blog header.  So, I'm interested to see what I can do with this new shade!


I never used to like all the grey nail polish shades that flooded the market a while back but I have slowly warmed up to them.  Don't knock it until you have tried it because these neutral shades can look very chic and sophisticated.  I remember a time when I would only wear nudes or pinks on my fingernails, but over time, I've started experimenting with new hues and I have to say that I now revel in painting on something a bit different.  I am yet to try full on black nail polish though!


There's something about receiving a Reiss package that gets me all giddy and that's because everything is always packaged up so beautifully.  You know you are buying from a quality brand and it makes you feel like you are giving yourself a gift!


I can never resist the Reiss sale on their website because, quite frankly, there's ALWAYS a sale on there.  Quite alot of the items are half price so there's always an opportunity to pick up a bargain!  I love buying decorative belts because it's an easy way to update a plain dress and add a bit of interest, whilst nipping in your waist and making the most of your curves.


This 'Shelby' Grey Leather and Chain Belt with enamel inlay detail was down from £59.00 to just £17.00!!!  I know you can pick up belts in New Look or H&M for hardly anything but Reiss accessories are SO high quality and always look so stylish that it's totally worth investing that extra bit of cash for something that will really last.  They also do this belt in cream too.


I love the clasp at the front and all the little details around the back that really make this belt look expensive.  The great thing is that it's not too trend driven and has a classical feel so it will last for years if I take care of it.


I'm a sucker for glam stuff so when I saw this Dace Black Stretch Sequin Skirt down from £79.00 to £30.00, I just couldn't help myself.  It's from the 1971 Reiss range and will be perfect with a plain white slightly oversized vest top and long pendant.  I think when you wear a skirt as glitzy as this, you generally need to tone it down with something that looks more casual on the top half.  Otherwise, you run the risk of looking overdone.


I love how there's black panels on either side so the sequin strips down the front make it very slimming...something that can't often be said about bodycon sequin skirts!


I already have this next item in another colour (beige) but the colour drew me in straight away.  This Dana Crystal Embellished Tank  in Dark Fuschia was marked down from £49.00 to just £14.00 which is an amazing bargain because the quality of Reiss jersey tops is second to none.  They wash so incredibly well and they last for ages without losing their shape or fading.  So whenever I see tank tops I like on the site, I snap them up!  Love this colour...


And now for a couple of motown-inspired songs which have been on repeat on my iPod of late.  The first one is by the 15 year old god daughter of Amy Winehouse, Dionne Bromfield.  Let's hope she doesn't follow in her godmother's footsteps in regards to lifestyle choices!  I love soul and motown as a genre of music...Marvin Gaye, The Supremes, Stevie Wonder, Otis Redding...the list goes on.  So anything that is inspired by that era of music will generally appeal to me.  I think the video for this song could have been better...it's a bit bland.  I like to see a bit more creativity when it comes to music videos because overall, you want the video to echo what the song is trying to say, whether it be literally or metaphorically.  I just like the concept behind the song too.  You know in your gut when you are just being messed around by someone and you find yourself making all these excuses for them.  Eventually you have to accept that they're just not that into you.



I have posted vids from Plan B before and I really like most of the songs from his most recent album because they all have a soul/motown sound to them.  I just love the paradox between the way he looks and the way he sounds.  He often looks like he should be hanging around street corners in a hoody! Once again, it's not a happy ever after kind of story behind the song, but it speaks of that time in a relationship when you know that things are going to end soon.  I know that alot of people don't like listening to sad love songs or songs about people breaking up.  But I never understand why, because if it's a good piece of music then why does it matter if the sentiment is happy or sad? We are all human and we all go through a range of emotions so it's natural that some songs ain't gonna be all sunshine and rainbows!  I love that music is so emotive and makes you feel.  It's an art of expression afterall. 

No comments:

Post a Comment