Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Skincare Tips for Humid Weather

So you all know that I'm going on honeymoon right after my wedding to Kuala Lumpur, Borneo and Hong Kong, all of which have very hot, humid climates.  Because of this, I have been reading up on what kind of skincare and makeup I should be looking at to ensure my skin stays in good condition.  It may be a bit of a shock to my system since I used to the colder climate of Aberdeen and although we do get a certain amount of humidity in the UK, it's nowhere near the extent I will experience in Malaysia.

I just wanted to share some tips with you guys that I have picked up over the last couple of months in case anyone else is jetting off somewhere nice.

  • Try to store your beauty products such as moisturisers, eye gels and cleansers in the fridge (hotel rooms often have these for the mini bar/snacks). That way, they will be feel cool and refreshing to use on hot days.  There's nothing worse than products getting hot and then having to put them on your face when you have been in the sun all day. If you don’t have a mini fridge in your hotel room then you can always fill the sink with cold water (can add some ice) and chill your products before you use them if you have time. 

  • It's important to remember to keep your skin hydrated because even in hot, humid climates, we still have to rehydrate our skin to allow it to take care of itself.  When you are walking in and out of air conditioned rooms into the heat outside, your skin will struggle to cope with the sudden change in temperature.  A light moisturiser will help it to regulate itself naturally.  I like to use Elemis Pro Collagen Marine Cream because it has a very light formula that sinks into the skin immediately so it's perfect for daytime. 

  • If you need to wear a moisturiser, try and use a lightweight serum or gel consistency product rather than a thick, creamy one. This will avoid your face feeling greasy and heavy during the day.  Also, make sure your chosen moisturiser contains lots of antioxidants. This is because sweat and heat increase bacteria, which aggravates any kind of skin condition so you want to prepare your skin for that.  No one wants to end up spotty on holiday! Keep in mind that oil-free and noncomedogenic (meaning they won't clog pores) formulas are best for really clear skin.  I also like Matis Shine Control Purifying Care Cream because it keeps the skin matte all day and doesn't block pores.

  • Avoid any kind of creamy, wipe-off cleanser as this will be too heavy.  Choose a rinse-off option like Elemis Tri-Enzyme Resurfacing Facial Wash or Loreal Perfect Clean Face Wash. The Elemis one will gently exfoliate your skin and remove any dry skin cells without aggravating sun-exposed skin whilst the Loreal one contains Salicycic acid to deep clean your pores and keep your skin spot-free. 

  • Choose a sunscreen that is designed for use on the face, these tend to be lighter, less greasy and therefore less likely to block your pores and cause irritation.   If your chosen sunscreen is slightly moisturising in texture, you can always use it in place of a moisturiser in humid climates.  Some sunscreens are designed to have a nice matte finish that can double up as a primer.  I use Clinique's Super City Block SPF40 because it always saves my skin from being burnt, it sinks into the skin without leaving a greasy layer and it's perfect to prime my face.  For my body, I always favour sunscreen that is easy to apply, non greasy/sticky and water resistant.  The best one for me is Garnier Ambre Solaire Light and Silky Protection Milk SPF30.

  • Drink plenty of water as this will flush out toxins from your body and staying well-hydrated will improve the overall look and feel of your skin.  You will be sweating ALOT and you will need to replace the lost moisture.

  • Use an exfoliating scrub at least once per week to remove dry skin cells and any dirt from your pores. I always rate the old favourite St Ives Invigorating Apricot Scrub for really smooth skin.  They do a few different formulas like Gentle or Blemish Control so you can choose which one is best for your skin. A great body scrub I have recently discovered is the Korres Watermelon Body Scrub.  It smells delish and it exfoliates your body without being too harsh or scratchy.  My skin feels so soft after using this!

  • You can use a toner with glycolic acid to help remove toxins and pollutants even further.  Although my one doesn't contain that ingredient, I find it always leaves my skin feeling so refreshed, revitalised and supple.  I am currently using Aubrey Organics Green Tea & Ginkgo Facial Toner.  It contains loads of great natural ingredients like Witch Hazel, Chamomile, Lavender, Cucumber & Aloe Vera.  I love it!

  • Use a chilled eye gel before bedtime. This will help to reduce puffiness and any tenderness or irritation in the eye area.  You will wake up with brighter eyes that feel refreshed rather than heavy.  Cream formulas can aggravate the eye area in warmer climates and cause swelling or redness.  I will be taking my Oskia Eye Wonder Nutri Active Eye Serum with me because it has a super light gel formula that prevents puffiness and dark circles.

  • Any products containing things like chamomile, lavender, cucumber or aloe vera will be soothing and cooling.  These ingredients help to restore the skin in the most natural way

  • We all know it's important to apply after sun EVERY time we spend long periods of time in the sunshine.  I like Garnier Ambre Solaire After Sun Skin Soother Hydrating Milk with Cactus Extract because it's super light, moisturises for 12 hours and it smells great!  I also love Korres Cooling After Sun Face & Body with Real Yoghurt because it has a lovely cream-gel light formula that keeps the skin hydrated and soothed.


  • ALWAYS wash off makeup before bed.  This is important all the time but especially on holiday when you are sweating so much more, as I said before, bacteria breeds alot more in the heat.  If you leave your makeup on with sunscreen underneath as well, you will end up with spots galore. You have to let your skin breathe overnight because that's when it repairs and replenishes itself.  Think of bedtime as an 8 hour detox for your skin. 
So those are my skincare tips for humid heat.  I will be doing another post soon on makeup tips for humid heat so stay tuned for that! Any tips you have or advice would be appreciated...I need as much info as I can get my hands on!

No comments:

Post a Comment