Friday, August 27, 2010

A/W Beauty Trends and a Clothes Haul

No Mascara
Ask any of your mates what they would take with them to a desert island and they will always mention the trusty tube of mascara.  Personally, I look like a pig without mascara because my eyelashes are blonde, not to mention my eyes look tiny without the essential definition of a flick of the magic wand.  The no mascara look has been all over the catwalks for the likes of Christopher Kane in favour of eyeliner or dark eyeshadow to define the eye area. 
I forgot to tell you guys about a story from the Borneo leg of the honeymoon...me and Chris decided to take a jet-ski out on the water.  It was the first time we had ever been on one so I was a bit nervous and also, I have a fear of the open sea so I definitely didn't want to fall in.  Everything was going really well until we got REALLY far from the shore, Chris made a sudden turn and I wasn't expecting it...I went head first into the water.  I kind of panicked a little bit just through the shock of it.  I got over it, don't worry.  BUT the thing I was shocked at was that I was wearing Lancome Hypnose Precious Cells Mascara which ISN'T waterproof but it completely survived me being dipped into the water! It didn't run even a little bit...now that's what you call staying power!

I won't be shunning my mascara any time soon, but are you brave enough to go without?
Matte Skin With A Luminous Finish
Everyone has their preference on the finish of their foundation and powder and in my mind, the finish I favour changes with the seasons.  In winter I like to go for a soft matte finish with a subtle luminosity underneath but for summer, I tend to use a more radiant/dewy finish foundation for a fresher look.  The trend for autumn/winter is a silky matte finish to the skin so something like YSL Teint Resist would be perfect.  I will definitely be breaking mine out when we're nearing the winter months.  What finish do you prefer?

Bold Brows
No so long ago it was the 'no brows' look that took over the catwalks, but now it's prominent brows that are in trend.  I must admit that I would NEVER blank out my brows under any circumstances because a) I would look ridiculous and b) my style isn't avande-gard enough to get away with it.  Common sense should always prevail over trends, it's always best to stick what suits you.  Brows are essential in framing your face and creating a good structure to your eye area.  Sometimes it's fun to play around with the shape of your brows, either making them more bold and natural or arched and dramatic.  If you aren't confident with drawing in your brows freehand, you can always use these Shavata Celebrity Eyebrow Stencil Kits:
So do you prefer thin manicured brows or 'bushy' natural ones?

Paired Down Nudes
From nude coloured nail polishes on the Dior catwalks to nude paired down makeup at Balmain, the makeup trend seems to be edging more and more towards naturally flattering shades of cream, beige and brown.  It's all about enhancing your natural beauty as opposed to changing it.  I have seen a plethora of nude nail varnishes from the likes of OPI and Chanel gracing many a blog lately but my favourite is still Hopelessly In Love by OPI. 
It's a perfect peachy based nude colour that looks slick, chic and very 'groomed' without looking like you're trying too hard.  Love it!  As for nude makeup, I have also been caught up in the lust fest that surrounds the new Urban Decay Naked eyeshadow palette...drool! 
It could just be THE perfect travelling companion! Hats off to Urban Decay for creating possibly the most usable eye palette on the market at the moment.

Contouring
Sculpting yourself a new set of cheekbones is terribly addictive and the slimming effect it has on your face is just plain fab! I always contour my cheekbones but I never bother with my jawline, temples/forehead or nose.  The look on the catwalks at the moment is full on strong contouring which looks amazing for a photoshoot but in real life, us girls have to be a bit more subtle with our fakery!  Go over the top with your contouring powder and you could begin to look false.  If you aren't too familiar with contouring but would like to give it a go, here's a great simple guide which highlights the areas you need to concentrate on:
My contour powder of choice is Sleeks Contour Kit (which also contains a highlighting powder) and I use an angled brush to lightly work it into the hollows of my cheeks:
 If you have a matte bronzer in your collection, then obviously this works a treat as well.  Something like Benefit Hoola or Dior Matte Sunshine would be perfect.

I just wanted to quickly share a clothes haul with you...there won't be any narrative, I will let the clothes speak for themselves:

                                                       Gladiator Sandles from Next:
Nude Patent Courts from Next: 
Aquamarine and gold cuff from Debenhams:
Pale Turqouise Silk Dress from Coast:
Statement Necklace from Coast:
Waterfall detail Black Blazer from Warehouse:
Pale Grey Cotton Vest with Chiffon Overlay from Warehouse:
 There were loads of sales on so I DEFINITELY took advantage!

No comments:

Post a Comment